PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 08:27
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which reminds me of two stories one of which I was involved in and one I read............

We had a bowser which was always u/s, it went to Saudi in GW1 and lived up to expectations and was u/s most of the time. Afterwards some equipment was declared as 'surplus to requirements, not worth shipping back to UK' and to be stripped for spares and scrapped in situ. This was duely done and the carcass dumped on the scrap compound.

Guess what - 2 years later I am walking through the vehicle park at Hullavington - and I recognise a number plate !!, blow me down if somehow, someone hadn't rebuilt it and returned it to UK - why ?? - I just don't know..... some things just never go off inventory it appears. (The effort involved in rebuilding it musty have been collossal)

Second story is in 'Chickenhawk' where the Huey goes missing and every bit of missing kit on the base is on it it appears (everyone in 'Supply' using it as an opportunity to write off missing kit). One of the mechanics says he's not surprised it crashed as it must have been about 2 tons overweight !!

anyway....................back on track, come on Danny42C - lets have your next installment.

Arc