PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aviation Magazine - New Format
Old 11th Jan 2013, 06:45
Gerard Frawley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@rjtjrt/John - fair enough. The idea for Jan/Feb issue is to have some lighter stories given it is on sale during the summer break (and there were one or two meatier stories that fell through for various reasons). But if we haven't kept your interest with it, I'm sorry about that, but thanks for the feedback. But do let me know what in-depth articles style of articles you would like to see? My email is in my earlier post.

@RU/16 - For my own benefit I have looked back through a few random issues from the 1990s (when I would say there was very little QF content). AA has changed - less historical articles, less GA, no Carlo Kopp. On the flipside we are more focused on contemporary Australian aviation issues and events - I guess hence others' criticisms of too much Qantas and RAAF coverage. I think that's an exaggeration, but noted. Our QF1 coverage - C'mon, that was in 1999! Judge us on our QF32 coverage instead. But this: "It was then that I realised like the famous WA aviation reporter, upgrades free travel and lounge passes are more important than professional journalism." - if we are being frank, that's BS.

@Aye Ess - the "old" AA of the 1980s was a quarterly and then a bi-monthly. Some were around 150 pages, most about 116. Jan/Feb 13 AA is 116 pages, and our standard size going forward will be 100.

@Capt Fathom - I don't mind if you say "I don't like AA because I don't like GT". That's legitimate. But smearing us with baseless "cash for comment" innuendo while hiding behind a pseudonym is gutless. You're wrong too.

@Dash 42 - thanks for the kudos.

I am really happy to have a conversation, whether on Pprune, or via Facebook, Twitter the AA website, email or face-to-face (we'll be at Avalon, come by) about what people do and don't like about AA. I really appreciate the kudos, and I will also take onboard and consider criticism, but I won't take the crap.

I've been at Australian Aviation more than 20 years now, and I have never been more engaged in and passionate about what we are doing than I am now. I hope that shows in the product.

Gerard Frawley