PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMS Very Slow approach - why?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 03:52
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmmm ...

...... to encounter tiny telephone wires (which will snap before they take out a helicopter) ....

Crab old darling .... have you ever inspected any of those 'tiny telephone wires' close up?

During one of my 'vacations' from aviation I did in fact do a 5 year stint as a 'Telecoms tech' and spent quite some time re stringing and repairing aerial telephone lines ....

With the smallest copper aerial cable (what we call a 'one pair aerial') ... the 'tiny wires' you speak of are indeed tiny the phone conductors are a pair copper wires of 1.5mm cross sectional area and are in themselves not that strong ... BUT an aerial cable is supported by a 'catenary' wire which is made of tough steel 1/8th of an inch diameter to allow support without excessive sag between the support poles ... this IS tough stuff believe me ... if you don't strike the cable run with the appropriate 'wire protection device' on your machine before you know it, it will have wrapped itself around your pitch links or tail rotor and caused a serious loss of control before it reaches its breaking strain ... and that is just the small stuff!!

Really you don't want to go there ... and while the military tactical decision might validate such a risk ... the civilian one will not ... standard of thought should be "when there is any doubt DON'T do it".

Cheers