PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2003, 22:50
boris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been a student and later an instructor at the London School of Flying at Elstree during the mid sixties, when it was a Ministry approved commercial Flying School, as well as a flying club, I had always been under the impression that the Auster J1N, G-AGXT was the one involved in the Setty affair.
Just checked my log book in which I see that this was the first Auster I flew on midsummers day, 1965. The late Brian Johns was my instructor.
David Ogilvy was the Pricipal and John Schooling, the CFI.
At that time, Air Schools was owned by British Midland Airways, formerly, Derby Airways. They had only recently vacated Burnaston and kept certain stores functions there for several years afterwards.
The fleet at Elstree at that time consisted of several, I think seven, Chipmunks, three Austers and an Apache, which had recently replaced an Avro 19. There were a couple of Magisters in the hangar, which had been operated by the school and the late Tubby Simpson was looking after the Spitfire which was owned and operated by Tim Davies.
Somebody has posted the thought that 'if you could fly an Auster, you could fly anything'.
I heard that 'if you could land an Auster you couldn't land anything else and vice-versa'
I tend to concur with the latter!
Now the Chipmunk...aah de Havilland.
Happy days indeed.