PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC Jets doc follow up - Cold War Interceptors
Old 10th Jan 2013, 19:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleeve Wing
international support eg. Suez. Malaya, Falklands, . . . The Cold War didn't just happen along the German border.
The problem is one of definition. Although the operations you cite happened during the Cold War and with Interceptors that were available during the Cold War they must be irrelevant as far as the Cold War itself.

Then the OP talks of Cold War Interceptors, well the majority were not on the IGB so really he would seem to be looking at Cold War Interceptors not in Germany which tends to leave Air Forces in SACEUR and SACLANT AOR.

So perhaps you should be offering FAA activity in relation to Soviet activity. Now we know that the SNAF reacted to Allied Naval exercises but it was the role of the RAF to react to LRAF and SNAF intrusions into the UK ADR was an operational role, a subtly different role from air defence of the fleet during exercises.

Now if you can point to any Naval air defence operations then that would be different.