PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 14:55
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideally with engine off and prop positioned horizontally.
Have you ever tried to stop the prop on a fixed-pitch prop aircraft in-flight? I did (in an R2160) and it required a half-G pushover so that I could fly well below stall speed. It would not stop windmilling even in a fully developed 1G stall with the mixture at ICO.

So although stopping the prop sounds nice in theory, in practice it's not going to work in such a scenario. The maneuvers required are too complex, especially if you've never done this before. And then you're faced with the challenge of making an engine-off approach and landing.

Furthermore, due to the aerodynamic forces the prop will stop at the position where it is building up compression in one of the cylinders. On a four-cylinder engine this means that the prop will stop at exactly the same orientation every time (plus or minus a few degrees). If it stops vertically, then you can blip the starter or try anything else, but next time it will stop vertically again. Only on a six-cylinder would you have a chance that the prop would get a different orientation at the next try.

Personally I'd make a normal, powered approach and pull the mixture just before or in the flare. Anything more than that is just greatly increasing the risk of a bad outcome.