PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:12
Dee747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm getting too long in the tooth for all this "excitement" over spurious entries on Wiki about bucket and spade flights. And whether a 757 or an A320 does a route is simply not important to me.

I'd be much more interested in flights being secured to other destinations in Europe. Frankfurt or Dusseldorf, Berlin, Madrid, Rome for starters. Some of these have already been tried by the LCCs, with mixed success, and duly dropped. Is the time now right for a carrier using smaller equipment (say E170/E190 series) to make these thinner routes work? Two or three days a week to all of the above would greatly open our trading opportunities, both inbound and outbound. All of the above would also allow hub connections to be made away from the traditional Heathrow/Gatwick options for those looking for long haul flights.

What I don't believe we can sustain is a middle east flight, not with Emirates and Etihad currently serving Dublin a hundred odd miles away. I also believe we could sustain a weekly or hopefully twice weekly service to Toronto to supplement our only other scheduled trans-Atlantic service to Newark.

I wonder will any of the above happen during the "momentous" 50th anniversary year of BFS?