PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC Jets doc follow up - Cold War Interceptors
Old 10th Jan 2013, 09:55
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cold War Interceptors

Once again, I fear, the role of the Royal Navy during this period is conveniently side-lined by our light blue friends.
The FAA had some pretty useful aircraft operational at this time as well, although most were rapidly-convertible multirole. Don't forget the Sea Vixen, Scimitar and the F4, just to mention a few.
They might not have been as 'hairy arsed' as the Lightning but, at usual, were quietly getting on with the job.
Protection of the Fleet as well as international support eg. Suez. Malaya, Falklands, were only a couple of the roles competently undertaken by Naval pilots. The RAF often couldn't stretch that far either because of geographical inconvenience or 'short legs'. The Cold War didn't just happen along the German border.

I don't want to inflame the perennial argument aboout whether the RN should operate aircraft or not but I am acutely aware of the demise that has subsequently befallen this often unheralded fighting force. A little off-thread but perhaps our sparring partners should also take note of the relentless advance of the robot !