PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My folks vs Me - need your advice!
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 07:59
Ross_ervo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My folks vs Me - need your advice!

Hi all,

I am not sure if this has come up on the forums recently but I havent been able to draw from previous threads on advice for young people like me.

I am in a bit of a conflict with my parents with regards to my future goals and dreams of becoming a pilot. This has been dragged on for a while within my household but I stood my ground (not like a stubborn kid ) and kept my parents involved by telling them about the pathways and other things I used to research about becoming a pilot. I recently graduated as an aeronutical engineer with honours and my parents insist on me getting an engineering job or study further through masters in business etc.

The training and the income through GA or the huge investment for cadetships is looked upon as something not worth doing by my parents, after having done an engineering degree with a clear path set out (I do not wish to offend anyone, these are just the opinions of my parents). Which kind of means that I wont be getting a single dollar towards training up to becoming a pilot from my parents. I have always loved aircraft and it was the reason why I pursued aero engineering, but I had a quick change of focus in first year after excursions to flight schools through interest groups at uni. I have since then wanted to become a pilot and want to pursue it in the best way I can. After doing an engineering internship last year, I am even more confident that I want to depart from the engineering career and become a pilot!

I have made my mind up of taking a year off and trying for all the cadetships on offer. If I get picked up anywhere, that will be absolutely amazing, but if not Ill have to get an engineering job and move on after this year has passed. I understand there are people with a negative outlook on cadetships but please understand I have no way of undergoing training and then looking for a job in GA with the circumstances I am in at the moment. This year is the biggest window of opportunity for me to try and break through somehow. The only other option is going ahead with an engineering job and continously working/saving up towards becoming a pilot.

I would like to hear your thoughts on some of my questions -

1. What have been some of the finance options used by people who have had to pay upfront fees for training? Are there student loans or personal loans available to deal with the upfront costs of certain cadetships?

2. Is it possible to become an airline pilot after working in other industries for a while? When and how did people make the switch and is it only possible/realistic upto a certain age?

3. General thoughts on the two scenarios that I will most probably face in the near future:

Cadet airline pilot - A debt in excess of $100k (for some cadetships) with additional debt from undergrad degree. Food and board during the cadetship training etc. Plus any other debts and expenses from a car or a house mortgage etc. in the next few years. Seems like I might be spending a lot before I earn a modest amount. Even then I'd have repayments for the company loan, hecs debt and a seperate debt to cover upfront costs. But having a dream realised and a foot in the door and getting a start in the Australian airline industry!

Aero/Mech Engineer - No immediate debt except for the undergrad degree and car/house etc. Saving up for upfront costs for cadetships/other ways of becoming a pilot. No idea if or when Ill have enough funds/stability to switch careers?

Which one seems more plausible and sensible?

I would really appreciate some words of advice from anyone who has been through a similar situation or has made the switch into the airlines (and had planned to do so for a while). If you just want to share your opinion please please go ahead! I will take every bit of advice/opnion if I have to re evaluate the whole plan.