PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using FlightSim for IMC training
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 07:58
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an instructor I hate the idea of MSFS for VFR training but think it is quite useful for IFR training.
Agree. One of the biggest drawbacks for VFR flying in MSFS is that you cannot "look out the window", so you start to rely on instruments way too early in your flying career.

But relying on instruments is what IR/IMC flying is about. Use the IFR mode in MSFS which makes the instrument panel as big as your screen allows. Fly the procedures first in nil wind, then in a howling crosswind, and use the track analysis (whatever it's called) to see how accurate you were.

Also, if you want to train a specific procedure (an ILS, say), you can use the "slew" mode to quickly position the aircraft at the start of the procedure, instead of having to spend minutes to actually fly there.

I also like the idea of using the autopilot as much as possible. I have the MS force feedback joystick and I find that there's a "dead zone" near the neutral point that makes it very hard to accurately control the aircraft. Even if trimmed properly the aircraft will not hold pitch or roll. It takes a fair amount of mental capacity to fly the aircraft accurately - something that happens unconsciously in real life. By using the autopilot you can think about where you want the aircraft to go, instead of what control inputs will be necessary to get it there.

And if you get horribly confused, you can always hit the Pause (P) button so that you can sort yourself out before continuing.