PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Ek Green Light
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 07:21
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H1, your question is fair and reasonable.

In early-2009, I was unaware I'd be leaving the terminal as it was the then-brand new T3 at DXB (which had opened whilst I was travelling); my prior experience in the previous terminal was that you'd have to while away a long layover in the EK lounge (which had rooms available). That lounge was airside and within the customs area.

It was only when I got to the check-in at the African port and asked to book a room in the EK lounge, that I was told that accommodation for the layover was off-site and a voucher issued for it. Hence no, I had not really considered it.

This wasn't an issue for me in terms of carrying anything untoward; I think I may have had some ibuprofen which I ditched. The only issue was the transfers & hotel check-in/out detracting from my sleep time.

However think about the case of someone who, due to food allergies, may travel with epinephrine, for which no prescription is required in Australia. That person should not have to risk going to jail for carrying something for the purposes of saving their life.

I agree your point re local laws & customs, however WRT the comparison of carrying fruit into Aus - we don't tend to bang anyone up for inadvertently carrying an apple in.

My point is that there are shades of grey. If you market yourself as a worldly place, you have to have worldly attitudes. Giving someone a 4-year stretch for (possibly accidentally) carrying something which clearly would not undermine order amongst the local populace is arguably somewhat stiff.