PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-Word (yet again!)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 07:13
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra92
"In the 70's, we had a program over here called Love thy Neighbour". Really?
Where do you think I am, Mars? Would that be the Love Thy Neighbour with Jack Smethurst, and Rudolph Walker? (not to mention Nina Baden Semper). Makes me wanna 'Mind My Language'.

The show was introduced as a light hearted approach to difficult issues arising from people of different cultures having to learn to live together, but an approach where the bigoted Smethursts views were exposed to ridcule, whilst the wives looked on in quiet disbelief. It was not directly because "a fair amount of Afro-Carribeans, Pakistani's, were filling up the country. In many of our big port cities, various immigrants have been here for over 150 years. In your own words - get over it.
And we had 'All in the Family' with Archie Bunker - one of the best and longest running shows of the time.

I think it is a universal human theme to address how best to adapt to changing social circumstances.

Could we get away with that show today? Not on your life. And yet, sadly, that, in my view, is far worse a statement than the fact we had the show in the first place.

PC is not about integration or acceptance, it's about intolerance of those who claim to be preaching tolerance for those they view as not using their lexicon. I heard it once explained as, "The idea that one can pick up a turd by the clean end."

Despite what the PC brigade would have you be brainwashed into thinking, one can be perfectly tolerant and accepting and generally a good human being towards his fellow man and still use words however he so chooses. Once again, what I mean with my words is mine, not yours, to decide. Intent is that which is in the mind of the speaker, not the ears of the listener.

PC is the first step towards having a Ministry of Truth. The next step is the thought police.