PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-Word (yet again!)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 22:11
Cobra92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love Thy Neighbour?

Althenick,

Happily, I think this particular thread has run it's course, and I feel that the consensus has also moved in the right direction. I feel you will disagree with that view straight away. I have to address some of your points!

"In the 70's, we had a program over here called Love thy Neighbour". Really?
Where do you think I am, Mars? Would that be the Love Thy Neighbour with Jack Smethurst, and Rudolph Walker? (not to mention Nina Baden Semper). Makes me wanna 'Mind My Language'.

The show was introduced as a light hearted approach to difficult issues arising from people of different cultures having to learn to live together, but an approach where the bigoted Smethursts views were exposed to ridcule, whilst the wives looked on in quiet disbelief. It was not directly because "a fair amount of Afro-Carribeans, Pakistani's, were filling up the country. In many of our big port cities, various immigrants have been here for over 150 years. In your own words - get over it.

The key points are that the name of the dog and the code word for a successful strike on the Mohne Dam were Nigger (the codes for the Sorpe and Eder anyone?). That is not going to be deleted. Accept that attitudes have changes, will continue to change, as society moves onwards. The story will be told over and updated for new generations to marvel, but they will not dwell on a pet's name.