PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus hand-flying characteristics
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 16:38
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Finally..... and attaboys

I have finally been rewarded by Fursty and Micro.

Their techniques and observations have answered many of my questions and confirmed my suspicions.

Either of them would adapt to the Viper stick/control laws in about 4 seconds.

The plane's stability when in turbulence became very obvious to us after a mission or two. Our little jet weighed less at takeoff then the weight of the fuel in the 'bus, heh heh. Nevertheless, the reaction by the jet to keep roll rate and trimmed gee per the laws made the thing feel like a much larger/heavier plane in light to moderate turbulence or when zipping along at 540 knots and 200 feet over a desert with all those thermals. So the techniques described and the aircraft's reactions fit my experience perfectly. Same-o, same-o. Control surfaces were constantly moving to achieve the trimmed/commanded gee or roll rate.

Same for the flare technique. Never reverse the stick beyond neutral unless a severe gust, just don't pull as much or maybe relax back stick ever so slightly, but one long, gentle backstick input until the wheels squeak. If you ain't holding a slight back stick at touchdown, you'll probable bounce.

So I finally got to hear how that sucker flies when you are not letting Otto do everything. Attaboy. And thanks, guys.

Last edited by gums; 9th Jan 2013 at 16:46.