PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The dollars cost of reading written checklists.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 13:46
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Not trying to stir you up at all, Jaba.

djpil mentioned there was a reg covering compliance and just reminding people that despite the thread seeming to be heading in the direction that a couple of mnemonics will cover everything, there is a requirement to follow the AFM and deviation may mean liabiliy in the event of an accident.

Certainly there are manufacturers who have stuffed things up and an informed action (engineering advice may be overkill, but I have gone as far as correspondance with the factory for a procedure that wasn't just contrary, but totally incorrect) to resolve the procedure is certainly the smart thing to undertake.
What actions have you taken for what level of discrepancy? (Not being a smartarse, serious question.) As an example, Aztec flight manuals being amended to remove all reference to crossfeeding as a normal procedure (ie. emergencies only) is an AD.

Back to topic, but wrt the OP, a bit of chair flying costs nothing and familiarity with the aircraft certainly will save the student some money. If they lack the dedication to learn off their own bat, the hip pocket may be a better motivator (exceptions being some daddy fundeds I've seen). Certainly, there are some unnecessarily extensive publications out there.

A training checklist is necessary for the neophyte learning to fly, but I feel the "do list" form of checklist should be transitioned at some point in the training to more of a flow and check type of procedure as the student gains experience. It seems to remove the disconnect between the student's thought process and involvement in the task and what is really happening.
Absolutely.

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 9th Jan 2013 at 13:54.