PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 All Flaps Up landing. Use of Autobrake Setting or not?
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:43
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that is noticeable from the back of the sim is that folk don't get max manual braking, the brake pedal deflection is insufficient
Now that is an interesting observation,because I have seen the same thing many times. That is because the instructor station has a screen page which depicts the amount of rudder pedal pressure being applied to each brake.

Slight thread drift but some years ago we were endorsing Asian cadet pilots on the B737-300 simulator. The exercise was high speed rejected take off's. It was observed that while one cadet always did the correct procedure and pulled up where expected, his crash-mate would always over-run despite the engine being failed at the same speed and the student apparently going through the correct procedure.

This had me tossed, until I happened to be watching the instructor screen as this cadet was doing his take-off and noticed the brake chart popping up when this only normally happens on the landing run.

It transpired he was taking off with his feet high on the rudder pedals and unknowingly applied dabs of brake as he moved the rudder pedals. In turn this slowed the acceleration and when he rejected the take off at the correct airspeed he was already further down the runway; hence the over-run.

Faced with this, he vehemently denied dragging the brakes and instead blamed the fidelity of the simulator. Typical culture driven loss of face syndrome. The solution was to have his crash-mate sit on the instructor seat and observe the brake pressure page on the instructor panel. Sure enough, the crash-mate saw the brake pressures bouncing up and down during the next take off run. A rapid discussion took place between the students in their own language and the problem was rectified.

Last edited by A37575; 9th Jan 2013 at 11:44.