PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 9th Jan 2013, 10:21
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Nice one Clarrie!
The scenario you describe is not as far-fetched as it may seem.
When I was CP of a small F27 operation I once got a call from a very distressed Captain who had an altercation with his First Officer on final approach to Cairns. The F/O was way too high and was not responding to the Captain's prompting. At the point where the approach was almost un-salvagable the Captain made the usual "taking over" call but the F/O refused to hand over. Fortunately the Captain was physically stronger and eventually wrestled the controls free. Had it been a more modern turboprop, the forces involved would have probably caused a control disconnect. Now THAT would have been exciting!
Of course the F/O was fired on the spot and left to make his way home to Sydney on Greyhound.
30 years ago I did have occasion to punch someone out in the cockpit after extreme provocation. Story related elsewhere in these forums. With the benefit of 20:20 hindsight, the appropriate action at the time would have been to banish this particular fool to the back with all the freight ( no pax aboard) and revert to single pilot operation. Strictly not legal, but the atmosphere in the cockpit was so tense that single pilot in an aeroplane I knew well would have been the safer option.
But in your scenario the best tools available would be the fire extinguisher or crash axe. If someone is trying to go out of control they could well be suicidal. The axe could help them...

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 9th Jan 2013 at 18:52.