PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ad in Flight International 21-27 Jan "JAA Pilots Available"
Old 2nd Feb 2003, 16:46
window-seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Ok guys n gals!

Good to see things are calming down! Although we all know the realities of employment within the aviation industry, they do tend to get pushed to the back of ones mind when spending the vast amounts of cash involved (often someone elses'), and during the relatively short period of very intense training involved during an integrated course. After all, employment prospects are there to be worried about once you have that blue book in your back pocket, and anyone who can forcast the short term future of the aviation industry is much better than me!!

As for the course of graduates involved in the original thread here, dates were set, initial deposits were paid and the future looked fairly bright just days prior to the events of 911. All continued non-the less, though knowing things would turn for the worst, but you pays your money, and you takes your chance, along with everyone else!

It is not all doom and gloom however, out of the original 7 December graduates, one starts an A320 type rating with a large european airline tomorrow, and one other has been interviewed for a turbo-prop position, (go for it boys)!

For the rest, the search continues, some are looking towards other areas of employment to keep their heads above water (and keep the banks at bay), and all are considering possible and more realistic alternatives to that 'Airline RHS'. Flight instructing is one of those options, and I can assure you all that everyone of us would rather be flying anything (no matter how big or small, under whatever circumstances), rather than sitting behind a desk or flipping burgers.

I can remember my PPL instructors at Welshpool a couple of years back, all complaining at flying 'Spam Cans' around the Welsh hills, shooting off for interviews, tests and Sim rides at every opportunity only to have their hopes dashed!! But eventually, one by one they got a foot on the next step of the ladder and moved on! It is strange to now find myself in the same boat.

I can remember wondering what all the fuss was about, after all, they were being paid (not much i admit) to fly aeroplanes, and to pass on their knowledge! The look of anticipation and fear on their face when they sent students on their first solo's, and the shear joy and relief when that same student returned 10 minutes later safe and well (if a little sweaty)!!

I always thought it would be a good place to return as an FI myself but alas, that option has now gone! Maybe some of us will become FI rated, but again, no promise of a work exists in any area of aviation! We live and learn, we wait and see.

Thus far however, i'm sure we have no regrets!!!

Now, probably my turn to get slated for something i've said!

Good Luck Everyone!

W-S.