PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus hand-flying characteristics
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 09:31
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post was genuine. After watching the aforementioned video I have even made a rant on a different forum about proper 'Bus flying technique, "making mayonnaise" vs "touching your best friend's @##*" etc. Then I really put a GoPro camera behind the seat and made some interesting observations...
Another thumbs-up for this post. I was embarrassed after watching my inputs in a GoPro video, and it's something I recommend to every Airbus pilot (doesn't have to be a video, ask to see a flight data playback of your sector).

Despite what I like to think, the Airbus rides turbulence fairly well on approach and I've adopted a much more "hands off" attitude to flying it, preferring to make just one or two corrections to correct trends in the trajectory instead of stirring porridge the whole way down.

One thing you can do, however, is try to make the inputs smooth. It's not immediately obvious at the front but when someone is putting in rapid "squirts" (even small amplitude) it's very pronounced in the cabin and accentuates motion sickness. In calm conditions the Airbus can be flown with "pressure" on the sidestick only.