PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 9th Jan 2013, 06:17
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach E Avelli

Yep I get that, I am just trying to point out that between the two extremes - PC we-mustn't-upset-the-little-darlings and a full-on rant with shouting and maiming, there exists a middle ground where common sense rules, and where one can use one's voice and even physically touch another human being in a way which is appropriate and helpful. I refuse to be categorised as one extreme or the other.

Anthill

Training is all about the trainee.
It might be down at an Aero Club where customers pay to be treated a certain way, but it isn't in the airline environment. Airlne training departments have to train a pilot to a required standard within a finite period of time and within a training budget. We naturally want to see the trainee qualify - failing a course is often a career breaker, and costs the airline a fortune - so we help them as much as we possibly can. I have spent many hours in a rented sim trying to get a trainee on track in my off-duty time. The stakes are very high for the trainee, and if I have to raise my voice or touch them to get a point across, I will. Such things are often the difference between passing and failing - sometimes you need to shock them a little to get them to focus. This is well-known and accepted in the industry (outside Australia at any rate). We only do it because we want to see the trainee pass - and if you do it properly, you end up relieving stress rather than creating more stress. The days of the ex-military bully in the airlines are pretty much over.

And you know what really makes me laugh at the likes of Sunfish and his offended sensibilities? On the occasions when I have had to take a firm line with a trainee, I have always apologised later over a beer - mainly because it is not my nature be nasty (no matter what picture Sunfish might want to paint). The trainees, to a man (and a couple of women) have thanked me for helping them get their act together and become successful airline pilots.

So I shall continue with proven and sucessful techniques, and have a quiet chuckle at the protestations of those who nothing about the industry.

And returning to the origins of this thread, the gentleman in question was well known as a bully, particularly within his ethnic group. Nobody is surprised at what resulted. On the other hand, I'd be intrigued to know how many airline-level instructors have been the subject of harassment suits. I suspect the number is a big, fat zero.

Last edited by remoak; 9th Jan 2013 at 10:00. Reason: speling