PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Crew Luggage
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 00:31
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyflyer83
By the same token you could argue that airlines need to reduce the size of cabin baggage.
If we design, say a wardrobe, for crew luggage (which already exists on some types) how long is it before passengers want that space too?
A lot of carriers already use up wardrobe space to hang C class pax suits and jackets as well as store guitars!

I would echo your calls for a reduction in permitted carry on baggage size. It's getting pretty ridiculous now if I'm being honest. It doesn't make my job any easier and I don't even face passengers that much considering I work for a handling agent. If everyone turns up with, say, a trolley bag which fits exactly in to the bag sizer at the check in desk (which does come very close to happening during school holiday season I can assure you), well there is no way all of that will fit on to the aircraft. So you take bags at the gate or try to get people to combine hand luggage, which causes arguments as technically the pax are entitled to have one bag each at AxBxC and they aren't too pleased in being told otherwise. People are reluctant to give it over, I've seen people become very aggressive about it!

However, if you let them all on with the exact regulated size bags then the crew will just take it all off again as there is simply not enough room for it all, crew bags in the overhead bins or not!

Ideally all that should be permitted in the cabin is a handbag and/or a laptop. That way everyone has enough space and there are no delays at either end while someone in row 3 fumbles around trying to fit their trolley bag into the bin, holding up everyone else! However, no airline will take the steps to limit pax to just that and sadly, very few airports have a good enough baggage system which will ensure short waits for bags and 100% success at transporting them on the same flight as passengers!