PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:48
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi 737Jock,

My purpose in providing a link to A33Zab’s post, in which he quoted David Learmount’s Blog, was – as I said - simply to draw attention to it: not to endorse David’s report. Perhaps I’m not the only one who is occasionally finding difficulty in following two PPRuNe discussions running more or less in parallel on the same subject, although this thread has a wider remit than the other one.

David Learmount’s piece is dated December 7th, and would have been written in good faith with the information available at the time. However, as also happens often on PPRuNe, he has put the description of the event in quotation marks without specifying the source. It certainly appears that his source reported the main events in the wrong order.

The news to me is that it seems to confirm the probes unjammed later, presumably during the descent to their alternate airfield.

You say:
David Learmount is unfortunately incorrect.
In order to be in line with the OEB this is what it should read:
The crew turned off all three air data reference (ADR) units. This action took the aircraft out of normal flight law into alternate, which de-activated the stall-protection system. Then the pilots levelled the aircraft and reviewed the situation and decided to divert. During descent, Airbus notes, the angle-of-attack vanes became unstuck once more.”

Sounds good to me.