PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Crash in Moscow
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:48
awblain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converging speed

Machinbird,

That's a good point... the aircraft is indeed moving to the left in the camera field of view. However, the "fixed position in the camera" argument only applies when the relative distance between the closing objects is much larger than their closest separation.

The aircraft hits the edge of the roadway over 3 seconds ahead of when the car passes the same spot, having been visible previously for only 2 seconds, so I don't think that argument applies here.

Assuming these time gaps, and a 20-degree field of view for the camera, I get a plane speed is about 0.65x the car speed.

According to Google Earth the lampposts are 40m apart.
The car covers 4 gaps in about 7 seconds, so travels at 23+-5 m/s, about 45 knots.

That would make the plane speed then only 30 knots, which seems low, but about the same as the well-determined speed of the wheel, which is still plausible.

Edited - well, given MAK now say 190kph off the end, I must have been counting the grossly wrong bit of the aircraft past a mark.

Last edited by awblain; 31st Jan 2013 at 21:52. Reason: Result was a pile of nonsense