PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking boarding pass at plane door – why?
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:37
t1grm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really that hard to have your boarding card ready?
No but apparently it is for most of the tourists in front of me who had stuffed them into bags/pockets unable to find them at short notice.

You'll soon get used to showing your boarding card long before they stop asking for it!
You haven't been to Malta much have you?

this has been the norm for every flight I have been on [UK/Europe/Asia/US] for the last 10 years.
Only had it on BA and EZ until today. Never had it on other carriers.

Anyway, I like stepping on a BA plane (for example) and being told "Good morning Mr edi_local, just up/down there on the right/left". I know they don't need to do it, but it is just a nice touch. It doesn't hurt to have your boarding card in your pocket, ready to be shown again.
Obviously a personal preference. IME any human interaction moving through an airport requiring SLF to provide some sort of documentation or information is a potential fail point in the process that can cause delays. I’d like to see as much of removed as possible. But then again I’d sooner send an email or SMS than walk across the office to speak to a colleague

EF, can't speak for the OP but some people don't like change. Particularly when they don't see, or haven't be told ,the reason for the change.

Flying these days is theatre. Well thought out rules are perceived as being silly, or intended to confuse, or to irritate. (I exclude security from this statement as there are no well thought out rules in their domain and their entire existence is intended to be silly, confusing and irritating) Take my example above where a standing policy simply failed in its purpose, but follow up procedures did prevent things going too pear shaped.

Managing the introduction of change is a science and when it is done poorly it leads to unintended consequences, and unhappy customers.
Amen brother