PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of aptitude tests
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 21:53
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Ability as a pilot seems to have not as much to do with aptitude so much as inclination.

I have trained and worked alongside all sorts of pilots. Those with mechanical/trades backgrounds are typically very good at the "pilot" part of piloting, but not always so hot on the academic/technical stuff.

Conversely, the guys I have trained or worked with who have a more academic orientation have blitzed the exams and can work wonders on a GPS or a computer, but have to work very hard at the practical stick skills.

Your natural inclination towards academia or mechanical/practical skills seems aligned to what you are exposed to as a kid, or what your parents thought was important.

If your Dad was always tinkering with cars or had you out on a motor bike you will develop different key skills to me, growing up in the city with both parents working in IT/management and strong history of academia.

An aptitude for one or the other is not important in your career - it is your inclination to work hard, identitfy your weaknesses, and develop your skills that will see you succeed in life (regardless of career choice)

Good luck & work hard