PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where should Avalon Airshow go?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 21:51
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ASD got the gig as a gift from the Hawke government.

Avalon is money for jam. Mega entry fees. Extraordinary mega site fees for concessions. Granted, there is a cost for bringing out some of the civilian talent, I would be surprised if the military iron is costed. Going by what was supposed to happen at Richmond, the military also have to pay for their fuel.

Staffing is predominantly voluntary, no cost there except freeby clothing if you are lucky enough to score a jacket. They do get a cheesy DVD which is a pretty good insight into the background behind the scenes. The Temora and Tyabb warbirds are conspicuous at times by not attending. Tyabb was there last time....politics?

I am getting at the idea that ASD may well not be the best people for running such a show. Military sales? Where are the Russians and Europeans? Bizjets are well represented. GA and RAAus could be better catered for if ALL aeroplanes were available to the public instead of behind barricades.

Time for some new blood and a different venue. If I was running it, Mangalore would be on the list. Great country venue close to Melbourne and Bendigo as well as the huge population of NE Vic. Albury/Wodonga. The show would have a north south display line with an easterly aspect...photographers would understand...the sun is at the spectator's back so the display is well lit by afternoon sun. There are equally spectacular civilian displays of working aircraft than just military. The only limiting factor for Mangalore would be length and the PCN for the heavier displays. No RPT and no airspace restrictions except those imposed by the fun police. Bottom line? Time for ASD to lose the franchise!