PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of aptitude tests
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 21:50
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Don't be discouraged. Those tests are designed by trick-cyclists in cahoots with human remains 'graduates' who may have never flown an aeroplane themselves. However, the military and airlines do look for certain attributes that you may not possess. It is their train set.
An example: Young guy I had the pleasure of flying Boeing 737s with. Had literally grown up with the type, knew plenty more about it than the average driver, flew it beautifully and loved it. Became a very competent training captain. Went to an Airbus operator which at the time did NOT select via psych testing; rather by interview and simulator evaluation. Anyway, by his own admission he has struggled with the Airbus. He does not like the technology, nor the flying. Apparently it shows. His progress back to the left seat will be slow compared with his earlier experience.
So maybe the trick cyclists are on to something after all?
But whether or not you have aptitude to fly will be known soon enough. If you are not solo in, say 15 hours, or fail your PPL test then you probably don't have what it takes. But if your progress is normal you probably do.
It is probable that you will have to content yourself with a career outside the military or the airlines. However a search of these forums will show that plenty of pilots have found satisfaction in general aviation and smaller regional carriers.
Plenty guys - myself included - had long, successful and accident-free careers without doing psych tests. Our aptitude was assessed in numerous check rides and gruelling simulator sessions, as well as by dealing with the occasional real in-flight emergency.
I, for one, could never pass a modern psych test. Although I am told that it is possible to practice them long enough to bluff your way through. Whether you would be doing yourself a favour taking that approach is your decision, I suggest.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 8th Jan 2013 at 23:03.