PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 16:37
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not really. Bit of willy waving but thats about it.

Also most private fliers don't have a clue how commercials are trained outside the modular method which they will meet when they are doing their PPL and hour building.

Some of these guys come out with 145 hours and no SEP rating and go straight into the RHS of a 737-800. And speaking to Captains that have to fly with them its quite a marmite subject if they think its a good idea or not. But the accountants like it and thats the way the industry has gone for good or for bad.

Now all the PPL's who fly similar hardware have a good think about what you would do in similar circumstances.

I will throw some ideas out.

Engine off for the landing.

Fast approach

Slow approach

Flat appoarch and a drive on at above stalling speed.

Forced landing glide approach

Land on the stall nose high.

Burn fuel off or not.

run a tank empty or not.

What control inputs would you expect.

What problems would you have faced getting out afterwards if the AFS wasn't waiting.

Land on tarmac or grass?

If like you can chuck your ideas on here and if the instructors promise not to be to condersending we can bash out a couple of methods. Remember though that what might be good for me won't be good for a new PPL.

To be honest the bloke got it on the ground and walked away from it. Even if it wasn't pretty and the plane was a bit more dented than it really needed to be he did OK in my book. Hell I have seen and been onboard worse landings with all the wheels on and done them myself. Would I have done any better at his stage of training? Well by that stage I had had a tyre go flat on me (no I didn't have the brakes on it was on a old PA28 with only hand brakes) and the torque link go on the nose wheel and a full elelctrical failure. Maybe that was his first sphincter clencher, the first one is always the worst.