PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:40
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, but I wonder what the cultural considerations are here - the native Aussies and the euros are quite familiar with having command authority, but from the impression I'm getting of the china eastern program (entirely from implications in this thread), and the fact that someone was conversing with him in his 'native language', I can't help wonder how authority and individual decision making plays out.

For myself, I would not have spent the 4/whatever hours emptying the tanks (from memory, 4hrs is a lot more than just one side - I think total endurance is about 5, plus most places only fill to the tabs 'cos that way W&B is a bit of a non-event). In *my* opinion, that's a mistake. I'd have used the right tank exclusively pre-landing, given the ground as much time as they needed to sort their end out, and as much time as I needed to think things through, request any advice/information, (and possibly do/have a flyby to assess the damage) and get the i's dotted, then come in on the left tank while I was still fresh and sharp. Oh, and stuff shutting down the engine until it stopped moving, insurance companies problem/an unnecessary distraction.

I've lived and flown in Aus, 4hrs at low alt on a 40deg day is no picnic, either comfort wise, or bumps wise. I'm of the opinion that a/c are far less likely to burst into a ball of fire than Hollywood would have you believe, even if the fuel is spilled, which (IMHO) is unlikely. I wouldn't have made a minimum speed approach, I'd opt for control, and tarmac, and no braking. Lots of runway/LDA most places in Aus.

Can't really see why there's so much aggression in this thread, from either side. Perfect - No, but what is. Worst handling possible - hardly. Very little is ever black or white, most things are shades of grey.

Last edited by Mark1234; 8th Jan 2013 at 13:43.