PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:18
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a lot more than 120 hours, so I'd expect to do it better than that guy did. At 120 hours I'd have expected to do it a lot better than he did.
Are you sure?

SSD, I'm assuming from your other posts that you're a few thousand hours in. I have around 150 hours. Do I think I could do better than this guy did? Yes. Do I think I would, in the heat of the moment? I don't know, but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it, which is what he was doing.

On that basis I certainly wouldn't criticise him for his flying or decision making - particularly as he was presumably advised to burn off the fuel by someone with far more experience. He may well be P1 but if I was in an emergency and someone with 000s of hours advised me to do something over the radio, I'd probably listen.

At the end of the day he was a low hours pilot who got the aircraft down in an emergency situation, and was able to walk away from it. I think that's pretty good going. Not to say there aren't things he could have done better, but I think comments like

my cat couldn't have done it worse.
are a bit over the top.