PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with flying.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:36
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to achieve in a career. If you just want a PPL to fly, but have a career as Doctor for example, then the current courses and theory are sufficient. You dont need a diploma or degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

If however (and it sounds like this is the case), you want to make a career in the Aerospace industry, and are as much interested in the theory, as the practical side of aviation, then I'd say do your course, and then learn how to fly. Maybe one of these courses offers a discount or some other scheme to make flying training easier to come by.

Your situation as written, sounds a bit chicken and egg. As I say, you need to think about your long term goal, and then think about where the flying fits in. Flying isnt cheap (though some will suggest flying microlight aircraft or gliders as an alternative), so if you go straight for a PPL, you need to make sure you have the means to comortably pay for about 60 hours of flying (people rarely pass in the minumum 45 hours).