PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:28
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ContactTower said....

With a long runway (no idea how long the runway was in this case...) it could be advantageous to keep power on though...would have given more control authority to keep the wing with the missing wheel off the ground.
Not sure which of Mangalores (code YMNG) runways this was on, but one is 1461 metres, and the other is 2027 metres. You can convert that to feet yourself if needed. Plenty of room on either.

Might also have been a idea to cut the engine once full contact with the runway had been made...just in case another wheel had collapsed and brought the prop into contact with the ground.
It was probably one of the things discussed with the PIC, given my previous post, restricted performance probably erased it. That is not to say any of us could perform any better. Its amazing how much of a well laid plan the human brain can forget.

I don't think there is anything wrong with passing comment on these videos...no point in just saying "oh what a rubbish landing" but thinking about and illustrating what a pilot may have done better in an emergency situation is constructive to the forum and the general debate on here. One day someone might just remember something they read on PPRuNe...it might just improve their flying or help them out in a difficult spot.
I agree with you in most part of this statement, except this bit...
but thinking about and illustrating what a pilot may have done better
. The real point is how did the pilot get themself into a position to make these basic errors? That is where the real lesson lies. Remember the truth to an accident is not the item that makes itself apparent first. That is usually the item that happened last.