PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 8th Jan 2013, 09:10
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trojan1981

many of those operationally-experienced aircrew in the ADF have obtained their experience while working as part of a foreign force. Training methodologies and doctrine are very similar throughout the western world. In fact Australian aircrew can be (and are) trained in Oz, Canada, the UK and the US - all graduating with the same required standards. The only force really left out in the cold is NZ.
I agree. Regarding the NZ force, they gained their experience by simply leaving when Helen closed down the Air Force, and joining the RAF!

They are hardly the tip of the spear when it comes to training development as they are cost driven, reactive and work in a risk-averse, over-regulated environment. Peoples lives (particularly on the ground) rarely depend on the arrival of an airliner. Different game, different rules.
Quite incorrect. People's lives don't depend on the arrival of an airliner per se, but the fact remains that a poorly trained pilot can, in an instant, kill everyone on his or her aircraft, and hundreds on the ground. This has happened on numerous occasions (the Russian captain that let his son fly the airliner he was commanding, ony to have the lad get the aircraft into an unrecoverable position, springs to mind). Airlines recognise this, and train accordingly. They know that one bad accident can (and often has) end their company. Airlines are far more exposed to this risk than most other businesses, and I think you would find that, if you ever spent any time in the training department of a significant airline, you would see how wrong you are.

Mach E Avelli

However some of us believe that certain recalcitrants may need to be taken down a peg by using a bit of military-style psychology and peer pressure. In extremis, some measure of humiliation may be in order.
Fine, as long as don't include me in that group. Or you could devise a new group - one that recognises that you can use your voice to command attention WITHOUT shouting, and you can use physical contact without it being in any way offensive.