PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deadly Stupid Stunt !
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2003, 11:37
Paul McKeksdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently working in Germany and have caught all of the news on the local Fernseher !(TV) The pilot in question is also known within the Bundeswehr to have played it 'close to the envelope'. He idiotically opened the envelope this time. According to local reports the tail rotor was ripped off and subsequently (and not unsurprisingly) led to th crash. In accordance with German regulations the pilot will now be held responsible for the death of a crew member if the accident investigation bears out 'Pilot Error'. This means a civil action of manslaughter.

CRM is an integral part in obtaining a CPL in Germany but can in no way account for the 'do you reckon we can make it?' or the 'Why not we've done it before' attitude of both the pilot and crew. (note its CREW resource management, not Pilot resource management)

German air law is, naturally, and exceedingly correct and heavy book and the pilot can expect it to come winging its way towards him at a very great rate of knots, very soon.

This sort of stupid stunt puts the pressure once again on the professional fliers within Germany who play by the rules every day in areas and situations of grave difficulty. I am honoured to be able to fly with some of the best helo crews Germany has to offer and would like to state that this incident and that in Hamburg should not reflect upon the other flying within Gernamy.

(Pheeeew, got that off me chest!!!!)