PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - naming and shaming - cui bono?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2013, 08:06
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every bus driver before they get on a bus
this is already happening...during the last 4-5 years, several cities in Sweden, Norway and Finland (a country with a similar drinking problem like Russia...) have tested a "breath alcohol locks" which require bus drivers to push a button and then blow into a breathalyzer which is connected to the engine control unit. If alcohol is detected, a red light goes on, and the engine won't start. After initial scepticism, bus drivers now seem to accept it, and it will be rolled out on a full scale in several cities. I think some legislators in New York want to make this mandatory for school buses. I haven't made up my mind on this, but I'm not entirely against it. In principle, I don't like the increased "surveillance" of innocent people who are not at fault in any way, and generally I like the idea of trusting other people, but on the other hand it seems to be a relatively inexpensive way to prevent drunk driving (and potentially save lives).

Simple technology, no police involved...it prevents people from drunk driving, instead of punishing them for it (and is probably more cost effective for society than sending offenders to prison and victims to the hospital).

I don't see this coming to aircraft anytime soon, I think the case for airplanes is less compelling, as there are far more drunk driving accidents than "FUI" accidents, and it would be a long road to get it certified...but in places where "FUI" accidents have happened, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Last edited by deptrai; 8th Jan 2013 at 08:15.