PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2003, 10:53
juswonnafly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck........

I have re read your posts and have to say I am much more inclined to agree with you (ouch, that hurt to say!).

As a matter of interest I had a student yesterday morning who was on his first 'proper' circuit session. We discussed this very topic before and after the lesson. I can see that principally we are all more than likely saying the same thing but in different (confusing?) words. Analizing how I do it I would say that I keep the initial aiming point in view until about 20 ft or so (point out to student to look down to left of a/c as well) then when starting the flare I would say I look ahead about 100 to 200 yards, this provides depth perception as the a/c sinks closer to the ground. Looking at the far end is not so much a consious thought but the far end is in peripheral vision and provides good referance for lateral aim.

Also my next student was learning glide approaches and during one of these (when he was clearly too high/close) I took over and demonstrated a max flap VFE dive to the aiming point, this naturally required good judgement ( ) when at the flare and it was at this moment that I realised exactly where I do look for height reference.

Lastly I do wish to apologise for previous remarks, they were sharp and non productive (best excuse I can come up with is I was having a bad hair day!)

Happy Landings

JWF