PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 8th Jan 2013, 00:43
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
When I was learning to fly 50 years ago, most flying school instructors were ex-military.
One of these gave me a lesson that I will never forget. I had come back from an early solo session and in my euphoria had forgotten to switch off the magnetoes. We did not use checklists in bugsmashers back then. As luck would have it, the CFI (who was the full RAAF Monty right down to his handlebar moustache) was next to take over the aeroplane.
He stormed back in to the office and very publicly tore me a new rectum. He did not shout, but made sure that everyone in the room could hear him. Including the office chick that I was so desperate to impress.
Words to the effect that if I EVER, EVER left the switches on again he would personally go to the ends of the earth to terminate my flying ambitions by not only banning me from his school, but by passing the word around that I was a dangerous moron who should not be taught to fly for my sake and for protection of society as a whole. To a sprog 17 year-old, that was SO humiliating. My initial thought was that I would take my business elsewhere, where they had younger instructors who were not ex-military. I am glad that I came to my senses and stayed where I was, because this same guy gave me some of the best instruction that I have ever received; delivered firmly, sometimes with gentle sarcasm, but with wonderful humour.
And - I have NEVER fogotten the ignition switches EVER in any aeroplane since. Even when I fly turbines, I still check that the manual ignition is off at shutdown.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 8th Jan 2013 at 01:12.