PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 8th Jan 2013, 00:07
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only experience in military instuction was in 1981 at Pukkapunyl as an army reservist. our platoon Stg. informed us us on day 1 that bastadisation was no longer allowed and he couldn't punch us when we %^&ed up, but he sure as #$% could give us plenty of picket duty .

The requirements of civil aviation and military training are very different. The military trainee is molded to kill people on command and the training is designed for this. The crew of a civilian aircraft have a different mission altogether, which is the safe transportaion of pax and cargo by air. There is no logical reason that the military paradigm of trainin should extend into the civilian world.

Consider the philosophies of 20 years ago to those used now: Although most of my previous instructors were level headed individuals who instructed by way of mentoring, there were those who were yellers, screamers and hand-slappers. Of the later group, I just thought that they were bullies and prats. The gentlemen who encouraged rather then screamed provided far more input to my profession development.

Not so long ago, if a trainee failed to check out, they got some additional training and 1 more attempt. If they failed here, they washed out and were probably fired. At my present company, slow performers are given the benefit of 'trouble shooter' instructors and additional training. They also sign a training agreement by which the company agrees to provide the additional training required (which is tailored to the students needs) and the student must reach a certain skill level withing the agreeed time. The process is probably similar to the 'old days' (I wouldn't know exactly because I wasn't subject to it), but is formalised as a contract to comply with industrial law and fairness for all parties.

Regardless of whether this is 'politically correct' or not, consider the following: A trainee undergoes a upgrade (sim or line) and is allocated a screamer who trains by belittlement, aggression and physical contact (slapping). The trainees confidence is slowly eroded and fails to check out. They fail to perform in the next check and are subsequently fired. this trainee has every reason to sue for unfair dismissal: they have been subject to workplace harrassment, assualted, belittled, etc in a hostile workplace environment. No wonder they didn't complete the training to the required standard! A six figuire settlement and re-employment orders would follow!

I have not much interest in what methods the US military employs in their training as it has not much relevence in our world. US Marines are trained to kill en-mass when ordered to do so. We have a diffent mission and ethic (one would hope!). They instructional methods that my company uses stem from adult education philosophies and doctrines developed by experts in the field, such as former airline training captain and current academic researcher Dr Tim Mavin from Griffith University. Their opinions and approach hold far more relevance than those from the marine corps.

(In the interests of Political Correctness, we give recognision to the Djjarnkk people, their tribal leaders and ancestors as the traditional owners of this thread).