PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From CES in LAS
Thread: From CES in LAS
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2013, 23:36
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
From CES in LAS

The annual Consumer Electronics Show is just starting and I see a promotion of this device. (middle of the page) BBC News - Intelligent cutlery and other innovations from CES Here is the text:

Lost Luggage Los Angeles-based GlobaTrac is using sensors to solve another problem: lost luggage.

Its forthcoming Trakdot is a small plastic-covered device you slip inside your bag which communicates with your phone via Bluetooth to tell you which airport it is at and, assuming you are at the same one, how far away it is.

The equipment is designed to comply with air travel regulations by switching itself off when in flight.

"Imagine I'm going on holiday, I put this in my bag, and when I get to New York I turn my phone on and I discover it's still in London," says the firm's Jagdeep Bhaura.

"Rather than stand there for an hour wasting my holiday I go to the airline and tell them to sort it out."
I think they must mean GPS or SIM based tracking as Blueetooth has only 10/15m range. But sounds good when it gets past trials.