PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcans Falkland Raid
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2013, 20:30
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORAC (and others)

I don't have a huge axe to grind on this one. I served down there (on HMS Invincible), alongside Sharkey and many other FAA colleagues. We were grateful for any help down there, and you are quite right that we were on the knife edge right the way through.

Just to set the record straight, the Vulcan raid was one component of a combined effort against Stanley that day. As well as Black Buck, nine SHARs of 800 NAS attacked the airfield, hitting both runway and parked aircraft. (three more SHARs attacked Goose Green). Shortly afterwards, warships closed the coast and bombarded the airfield with 4.5 inch shells, damaging more aircraft. There were no GR3 attacks that day, because they weren't available for ops until 20th May.

The Vulcan was certainly 'the right thing to do' - it was offered, it was available and it added more effort. but it was one part, and eventually a minor part, of the war. It wasn't 'decisive', and it wasn't 'the most daring raid' of the war. But that doesn't take a single thing away from the brave and professional crews who got the aircraft there and back. It was a damn fine effort.

The only thing I ask is that when we post, please take the time to get it right. really right, and make sure that we honour the efforts of all those who fought down there.

Best Regards as ever to all those who did it then and those who are still doing it now,

Engines