PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2013, 19:48
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The analysis of various videos of emergency situations does seem to be the flavour of the month...

I'm guessing the guy knew he was missing the wheel judging by the fire engines.

I think the fair thing to say is this...

It wasn't a great landing as SSD states. I've got a few hundred hours on the PA28 and one can make the touchdown practically imperceptible if one is careful. He looked like he was doing quite well until the very end - then he seemed to flare a bit high, lost momentum and fell quite quickly... had he just kept a bit of power on and flared a little later he would have done a bit better.

However, if I think back to my 120hrs self, or indeed myself now, my landings weren't always perfect and while I generally land well most of the time I think even experienced pilots will slam it on from time to time, maybe unfortunately this was one such moment for the guy in question? Under the pressure and anticipation of a situation like that I wouldn't say hand on heart that I could have done better, although I'd certainly try. So I guess at the end of the day he got down uninjured...as the old saying goes reusing the plane is not necessarily a qualification for a good landing...all that mattered was that he walked away...