PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The dollars cost of reading written checklists.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 15:00
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref Jabawocky's Post #28 (I like it)

Deakin and gang have done a real service to general aviation in dispelling the myths that have existed for much too long.

The best checklists I have ever used were the ones I wrote. Unfortunately, I haven't written all of them. Using brevity and emphasizing essential items in a flow is a great path to take. I now contract for a government agency with mostly ex-military pilots running the show...and the lengthy, detailed checklists reflect that. The difference between a civilian (airline) and military checklist on the same type is a frustrating eye-opener.

A training checklist is necessary for the neophyte learning to fly, but I feel the "do list" form of checklist should be transitioned at some point in the training to more of a flow and check type of procedure as the student gains experience. It seems to remove the disconnect between the student's thought process and involvement in the task and what is really happening.

I have had my own airplane for awhile and no longer instruct in little airplanes as I did in the beginning of my career. My C-185 Before Takeoff Checklist, as an example:

While waiting for cylinder heads to reach 225dF prior to takeoff (allowing oil temp rise to green arc).
Flight Instruments
Radios
Engine Instruments (includes runup/prop cycle/suction, etc., if desired)
Trim
Flaps
Fuel

All done in a flow. The last items when taking the runway are:

Landing lights - Flash
Mixture - Set (normally leaned as much as possible until takeoff is imminent)

This may not work for everyone, but after 1,000 hours in my own plane it works well without having to refer to a paper checklist. Frankly, if you can't start, taxi and takeoff in your little spam can using situation awareness without referring to a lengthy and detailed training checklist, you really should stick to simple automobiles with automatic transmissions. Do you really need doors and seat belts on the checklist after obtaining your license? If you do, perhaps you should reconsider what you are about to do with an airplane. I certainly wouldn't ride along in the back seat.

Train your brain and wean yourself off that clunky training checklist, if you can.

BTW, 1,000 hours with GAMIjectors and still going strong. WOTLOPSOP

Last edited by Desert185; 7th Jan 2013 at 15:03.