PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Mids Air Ambulance going night flying?
Old 7th Jan 2013, 13:40
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Thank you Crab....you reminded me of what I seemed to recall. In the UK...the sidewalks get pulled up after Sunset when it comes to aviation pretty much.

On the "closed" airports....do you have pilot controlled lighting and approach aids so that a Pilot can key his VHF radio and turn on the runway lights and such?

How does one know which Approach Nav Aids are active after the Airport is closed?

Now I do grasp the Class G Airspace thing.....and flying Quandrantals...but I submit to you and others....that is neither "Controlled" or "IFR"......it is IMC and Un-Controlled IMC.

I will grant you also that 3000 feet in most parts of the UK will see you clear of terrain as well.

Somehow....I see flying IMC in Uncontrolled Airspace, with no "Clearance" (organized traffic separation), no contact with ATC, and showing up at Airports that may or may not have Lights or Approach aids working and not having anyway to ascertain what the existing weather is at those places, to be something Commercial Operators might want to shy away from.

Am I right in thinking this might be a recipe for problems?

Along with the lack of "Profit Motive" by the HEMES/AA operators and pilots....it would appear the UK method of funding Aviation Infrastructure needs looking at as well.

How many AWOS systems are there in the UK?

Who pays for installing them....and do the owners charge Operators/Pilots for using them?

Where do you get your weather reporting from after hours?