PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2013, 11:42
relightengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmm, with a comprehensive answer like that, I do believe I know who you are, HAND SOLO. Shhhhh, your secret is safe with me. How do you find the time to do all these things?

Just on your point, Aporrizaje, about the comparable wages. It's not just cash in hand that counts, it's also things like pension contributions that come into play. As it has been linked percentage wise the only way to reduce the the whole shabang is to reduce the wages....percentage wise. In any case, it is academic because Easyjet make a lot of money and so they can afford to pay high wages. Believe me, if they didn't make money, they wouldn't be paying those salaries.

In any case, Like HS, I feel for you also because the one truth you have come out with is that your company has been mismanaged for a great number of years now and that is not your fault. Because i am half Spanish I can say this: The whole of Spain is mismanaged. Rajoy has enough problems of his own and WW has a proven record who is not subject to the "Spanish Practices" prevalent in Spanish companies (indeed the whole country). If anyone is going to turn Iberia around, it's a foreign CEO. Rajoy is PP and a Right leaning government can see the wood for the trees where long term survival and sustainability of institutions is concerned; as HS says, a percentage of something or 100% of nothing is your stark choice.

You cannot heal a plant by just cutting off dead leaves, or even dying ones. You have to get to the root of the problem, literally, and then work your way up. In Spain there is this underlying tension between those who work and those who employ. For years now the favour has always swung the workers' way, to such an extent that employers have been strangled. The net effect is that, in the end, no-one has a job, no one has a company and so on and so on......

One last big problem Spain as a whole has, and one which you in IBERIA have taken full advantage of forever, is that of nepotism. You don't have the right people doing the jobs. In the UK and especially BA, nepotism counts for nothing. A senior BA captain (or any employee, for that matter) cannot help his or her family member into BA other than offering a few pointers and, perhaps, therefore offering them an edge when it comes to selection process. But as far as anyone taking into account family ties goes, that's a big no-no here.