PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:09
mr kingair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting happenings in the industry with this BAFPP. On the whole, you have to take your hat off to BA for initialising it compared to the practises of the low costs and the P2F format.

Good luck to those advancing and commiserations to the others.

Some interesting points being made on this forum, thought I'd put my two pence worth as I have a day off and at a loose end.

There is always going to be some random outcomes with type of system. Great potential will not always be spotted and picked up.

I remember applying for BA back in the 97 and asking the local BA captain on our street what I should put for the questions (paper format in those days - one's hand writing and lack of spell checker became more of an issue) and his reply was "I just don't know what they are looking for these days, with all these HR types"

Anyway, two of my good friends also applied. Me and another(b) never got an interview and the third(c) got one and got no further.

Fast forward to today>>>>>

Me - King Air Pilot

B - Private pilot and senior materials scientist at Airbus

C (the one who got the BA interview but no further) - The RAF could see what BA HR couldn't and gave him a break and was Tristar(wide-body 100+Ton long haul aircraft)Captain after 1300hours - flying a way more taxing aircraft and routes. He has always been classified as "above average flying skills" on Squadron and is a very rounded character too with a good understanding of the world and business.

Moral of the story - I don't really know.. but I'm sure BA HR department make lots of under-optimised decisions as well as optimised ones. For example: they employed a future wife killer BBC News - British Airways pilot cleared of murdering wife Joanna Brown in Ascot

Good luck to you all (including the BA HR team)