PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadron Student hours - JAR/EASA UK PPL
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:59
sp6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AOJM,

I have mixed sympathies for you. As a PPL instructor at an RAF Flying Club, I am keen to recruit our UAS current and ex CP's into the club. This is for two reasons, the first so that I can some instructing revenue in conversion training, exam supervision and solo x/c supervision. The second is to help the club grow, remian in profit and to increase flying.

Our club mandate is to provide discounted private flying to current, reserve and retired service personnel. We are heavily subsidised (ie no hangarage or landing fees) and enjoy fantastic facilities compared to the local civilian flying clubs. Without new members who support the club, we cannot continue to offer the rates we do (especially for JR's - CP's count as JR's).

Converting your UAS flying into a PPL will not cost 000's at an RAF club. Given the fact that you have enjoyed superb training (better than ppl std imho), in a superb acft (try a knackered C152 instead of a shiny Tutor) and a great social life, perhaps you should consider giving something back, and if that means £3-400 to your local RAFFC, then that in a small way supports private flying on base.

I have helped one UAS CP, and one partial EFT gradute get their PPL. Both were very simple and quick operations due to their flying abilty & standard. The club benefited from their membership and their rental of the club's aircraft.

cheers

SP6

ps my "personal" requirement for remuneration means I can justify to the missus the weekends I give up to fly at the club. Nobody instructs to make a mint! I think I have just earnt enough to pay my petrol and my class 1 medical from 2012's flying!