PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to the USA
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 19:29
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is the RVR in everyone's crystal ball is <300. If you know that the present job will lead to command in a year and you'll log 700 hours a year I'd say stay. If you show up here, first you have to be hired. Yeah, yeah, I know we're going to have a pilot shortage. From what I've heard, Delta won't be hiring this year, American still has pilots on the street from 2001, so does United. So no one has been leaving the regionals. We have a whole generation of pilots who spent 60,000-90,000 thousand getting their ratings, thinking they'd suffer through a couple years at the regionals and hit the gravy train now on fifth year FO pay. Comair, one of the older and larger regionals, shut down last year and put over 800 pilots on the street. I've heard Eagle, American's regional code share, will be hiring this year but they've got 7 year FOs as does Air Wisconsin.

I don't have any connections in the LCC world. Sprint appears to be hiring, Frontier and Virgin are not. And Virgin does say "1000 hours turbine PIC preferred." And unless you're going to stay there, they seem to be running 6 years to upgrade.