PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 6th Jan 2013, 17:21
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Remoak:

Airline check and training for 15 years in a large (90+ hulls) airline. Have you ever instructed in the airline environment?
I wouldn't even want to be a student in an airline environment if there were screamers and prodders around.

Checkers:

Bloody stupid military!
Option 1: Tell guy he is an idiot, and to go get his jacket. Everyone is then properly dressed, guy knows he made a mistake.

Option 2: Tell guy he is an idiot, punish him with pushups or whatever, leave him without jacket. Guy hates you, and perhaps suffers physical sickness (that's why he needs a jacket after all!)

Option 3: Tell everyone on a freezing day to take off their jackets. Everyone hates you. MUCH higher chance of physical sickness (as you now have everyone without jackets). Original guy is ostracised, and perhaps personally attacked later. Group morale is shattered, officer is hated for being an idiot and several go sick. Bastardisation at its best.
You poor soul, you have entirely missed the point.

The purpose of the exercise I described is not "bastardisation" by a sadist, nor the instilling of "mindless obedience" as it perhaps is with the methods used by the U.S. Marines and least of all the attainment of any sort of sartorial parade ground splendour.

It is simply to get people to realise that their very lives will one day depend on the action, or inaction, of their fellow soldiers and we first of all must teach them to care for what happens to each other to the smallest detail before it is possible to teach them anything else.

We build situations where if one fails, then everybody fails and wears the consequences of group failure. Modern man is very attached to their individualism and independence of thought, deed and word. The approach taken at least in the ADF when I was a minor part of it, was to do the minimum necessary to instill the required group ethos for survival - "mateship", "Team spirit", call it what you will, without destroying initiative and the capacity for original thought and action.

It takes about Two weeks of the hell we created for them before even the slowest, criminal, insolent Bogan suddenly realises that all difficulties vanish overnight if they help and look out for each other. In other words, the penny drops. When our man forgets his jacket, someone reminds him. When he helps another clean his rifle, someone cleans his gear for him.

After that basic lesson is learned, it is possible to instruct in the safe handling, usage and application of weapons and high explosive without too much fear that some idiot is going to blow you and everyone else to kingdom come because they weren't listening or couldn't be bothered following instructions.

Of course there are exceptions, some of us termed them "warrior poets" or "plastic Rambos" who have a romantic idea of what they shoulld be allowed to do. They get chucked out as soon as they are detected. We had one end up naked, with a loaded rifle, crying his eyes out one night on a barracks roof before the unit doctor talked him down.

And I say again, all this can be done without screaming and bullying.

Sorry for being verbose. I havent described this to anyone ever.

P.S. Yes, they do hate you at the time, but only until the penny drops about what you are trying to teach them.

Last edited by Sunfish; 6th Jan 2013 at 17:24.