PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcans Falkland Raid
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 13:53
SASless

Received 561 Likes on 230 Posts
I know....you are quite right......bombing was designed to break the will of the people.....as it did in Britain and Germany during WWII....right?

Just as Bombing was supposed to make land warfare obsolete....and win Wars all by itself....right?

Spare me the insults.....this one raid by one aircraft is being made out to be the most significant event during the whole Falkland War. It is not.

I suggest the RN did much to affect the outcome by the sinking of the Cruiser....and much more than just the one raid.

I also suggest the VC's won by the ground troops....and all those Men that get scant mention despite their great individual contributions deserve some credit too.

Perhaps you might put this one raid into perspective by thinking of the Soldiers and Marines who fixed bayonets and went up hills and mountains to defeat the enemy against great odds.

Use some commonsense.....you reckon the Argies could not figure out the capability the RAF had to do bombing attacks on the Main Land....and know they would be weak and ineffective? The RN was far more a threat with its Submarines than the RAF was with its bomber force if it came to full fledged War instead of a campaign to re-take the Falklands.

You make too much of the effect of bombing.....most Air Forces do....unless we are taking about CAS. Then we have to remind ourselves the Air Force is supporting the Ground Forces and not the other way around.

Compare what the RN and RAF Harriers did compared to the single Vulcan attack....and keep telling me how great the Black Buck Raid was in its contribution to the War overall.

If the RAF had the capability of conducting raids on the Main Land....it probably would have....but you did not. That is the one thing the Black Buck raid was very successful at. It proved to the RAF it did not have the Tanker Assets or Base infrastructure to mount a sustained Bomber Campaign against the Argies......and you know it!

Argie unpreparedness is not an RAF victory except by default maybe.

For your consideration and critique.....as I know nothing of the author.

Did one of the follow on Vulcan crew's actually forget to arm their load of bombs as reported in the linked reference thus making 21 rather small but deep holes in the ground?

Sharkey's World: Black Buck - The Truth of the Matter

Last edited by SASless; 6th Jan 2013 at 14:11.