PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - naming and shaming - cui bono?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 11:18
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those who don't, particularly those with some long-term hard-to-treat illness need to be moved out of operational flying duty into some other role, or let-go.
Yes, agreed.

I also think it's time to admit that the "disease" didn't make someone show up half in the bag. That was a choice. A poor choice that should be dealt with by removal from flying duty today and depending on the full circumstances perhaps forever, at least for this company. I know I wouldn't tolerate it as a boss. Call in sick, ask for treatment, seek treatment outside, whatever. Show up impaired and you're out. We just don't need pilots with that kind of judgment. If somebody calls in sick too much they're gone too, but at least they didn't endanger their license their life or anyone elses. Perhaps they should seek treatment before it really starts costing them. Then if they have the stones to complete the process they'll have their chance at redemption. But after showing up tanked is a little late in my book.

It's not always easy to be both compassionate towards someone with a sickness yet intolerant of willful negligence. But that's how I am on this subject. Others may disagree.

westhawk